April is American Red Cross Pet First Aid Awareness Month. Would you know how to help your pet in an emergency?
…ate something poisonous?
- Follow product label instructions
- Contact Animal Poison Control at 888.426.4435
…broke a bone?
- Muzzle pet w/gauze or a towel
- Gently lay pet on a
- Transport to vet on a stretcher (flat board or blanket)
- Muzzle your pet w/gauze or a towel
- Flush chemical burns with water
- Use ice water compress on severe burns
- If the object is easy to reach in the throat, try to gently remove with tweezers
- If cannot be removed and pet collapses, place both hands on sides of the
ribcage and apply firm, quick pressure.
- Open pet’s airway by gently grasping tongue and pulling
- Check for foreign objects in airway
- Perform rescue breathing: close pet’s mouth, then breathe directly into pet’s nose until chest expands.
Download the FREE Red Cross Pet First Aid App by texting