Fall Safety Tips

HEAD: Fall for These Pet Safety Tips

Rodent Poisons & Antifreeze

Rat and mouse poison use increases in autumn as rodents seek shelter from colder temps. Fall is also the time when many people change their vehicle’s coolant/antifreeze. Rodenticides and antifreeze can both be fatal to pets if ingested.

Candy & Holiday Foods

Holiday foods are often high in fat and even small amounts can result in pancreatitis. You probably already know that chocolate is bad for pets, but also be aware of candy, peanut butter and other products containing xylitol. This artificial sweetener that has been shown to cause severe liver damage and even death in dogs.

Getting Warmer

Cats who go outdoors will often seek warmth in the engine block of a recently driven vehicle. Obviously, serious injury and death can result if they’re napping there when the engine is next cranked. Check for them under the hood before starting the car.

A Walk in The Dark

With shorter, colder days, you might find yourself taking walks in the dusk or darkness with your pet. It’s important that you and your dog wear a light-colored, reflective coat, collar, and/or leash so drivers can see you both.

Stash the School Supplies

Glue sticks, pencils, and magic markers are low toxicity for pets, but their shapes and smells make them attractive as chew toys. Gastrointestinal and upset and blockages can occur if ingested, so be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw’s reach.