Rat Poisons

HEAD: Rat Poisons Aren’t Just Deadly to Rodents

Getting rid of rodents in your home is important. However, if any of the following active ingredients are present in the product or trap, you don’t want it in your home with your resident animals—or small children, for that matter.

  • Anticoagulants: The most common type of poison used, these prevent the blood from clotting. Anticoagulants take effect in about 48 hours and symptoms include lethargy, coughing, exercise intolerance and later, possible vomiting and bleeding from the gums.
  • Cholecalciferol: This very dangerous poison works by continuously increasing the calcium and phosphorus levels, which can result in kidney failure within two to four days. Watch for increased thirst and urination, lethargy, decreased appetite.
  • Bromethalin: Cerebral edema—brain swelling—is the result when even small amounts of this poison are ingested. Symptoms include tremors, seizures, paralysis, and when not treated can quickly kill your pet. It is especially toxic to cats.
  • Zinc, calcium, and aluminum phosphides: More commonly found in mole and gopher baits, once in the stomach this combo releases toxic gas which increases if the animal eats afterward. Abdominal pain, vomiting, liver damage and shock can result if even a small dose is consumed.

It’s also important that you identify the active ingredient because should your pet ingest one of these rodenticides, your veterinarian will need to know how to best treat your pet as quickly as possible.

If you believe your pet has been exposed to or ingested any rodenticide, don’t wait! Contact us as soon as possible at 999-999-9999.