IG Reels: What they are and how to use them effectively as a veterinary hospital
What is Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels is a new(ish) tool to cut and edit 3 to 30-second videos with text, music, stickers, and other special effects. One of the best aspects of Reels is how you can grow your audience with this content. Users can access the never-ending Reels feed from the Explore page by tapping the Reel at the top of the screen.
How to Create Instagram Reels
You can create a Reel in one of two ways:
- Hold the record button in Instagram to capture video footage
- Upload video footage directly from your camera roll
You can create a Reel from one video or a series of clips recorded or uploaded one after the other. The specifications are as follows:
- Videos are in full 9:16 portrait mode
- Completed Reels can be between 3 and 30 seconds long
Here is the quick and easy six-step process to creating a Reel:
- Open Instagram and navigate to the Stories screen. Scroll across to Reels at the bottom of the screen.
- Use the four creative tools to craft your Reel: music (search and add music over your video), speed (speed up or slow down your video clips), effects (add filters to your video), and timer (decide how long your video will run for).
- Tap and hold the record button. If you decide to set a timer, you’ll see a countdown before the recording begins.
- Press the record button to end the clip when you are ready. Tap it again to start recording a new clip. After recording one clip, you will see the Align button underneath the timer. This allows you to line up objects from the previous clip to create seamless transitions.
- When you have finished recording, you can enhance your Reel with drawings, text, and stickers.
- Tap the > button in the bottom right-hand corner to publish your Reel. If you have a public account (which is a must for brands and businesses), your Reel may now be visible to Instagram’s global audience via the Explore page.
Ideas for Instagram Reels
Creating videos can feel overwhelming. We are showing you some of the best ways to engage with your audience as an animal hospital.
Educating your audience
Education is so important for your patients. Quick and digestible, Reels is an optimal platform for commanding your audience’s attention and getting your message across fast.
Showcasing Your Unique Team
We love seeing a more personal “behind-the-scenes” look at clinics and the staff. Consider creating a day-in-the-life style content, or staff features.
Tell Your Story
Share what sets your clinic apart from the rest!
Popular content is popular for a reason, so repurpose it. Your reels don’t dissapear like stories do, so you can continue to re-share the content in future months.
Showcase Your Products
Showing the differences in medications such as different flea and tick preventatives, or prescription diets is a great piece of educational content!
Before you publish your Reel, don’t forget to include purchasing instructions in your caption. You might write something like, ‘To buy, call or visit us today!”
Share Insider Tips and Tricks
Sharing tips and tricks is arguably the easiest method of creating engaging, valuable content using Instagram Reels. It could be “how to brush your dog’s teeth at home” or “3 easy ways to ease seperation anxiety”.
Share User-Generated Content
User-generated content is an effective way of getting your audience involved! Look through your tagged posts, and share (with permission) some of your furry patients! Do be sure to gain consent from other users before sharing their content on your profile.