Many common foods we keep around our homes can cause serious health problems if our dogs ingest them. Here are five foods to keep away from your dog at all times.
- Both chocolate and caffeine contain methylxanthines, which can cause panting, excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures,
andeven death. Darker chocolates, particularly baking chocolate, are the most dangerous, as they contain more methylxanthines.
- We don’t yet know which substance in grapes and raisins poisons dogs, but they both can cause serious kidney failure that is often fatal when it’s not treated immediately.
- Both onions and garlic can cause gastrointestinal upsets, drooling, weakness, collapse, diarrhea and vomiting, and garlic is about five times more likely to cause these issues than onions.
- Xylitol is a natural sweetener used in things like chewing gum, peanut butter, toothpaste, and some diet foods. Dogs enjoy its sweet taste, but it can cause vomiting, loss of coordination and fatal liver failure.
- Macadamia nuts are a serious threat to our pups. They can affect nerve function and can cause joint stiffness, severe lethargy, and tremors.