HEAD: Keep Your Pets Safe This Paw-liday!
The winter holidays are fun for us humans, but our parties, decorations, and festive foods can put our pets at risk! Here are a few tips for keeping your animal companion safe this season:
- Place sparkly decorations out of the reach of felines. They’re very attracted to moving, shiny things and you don’t want them ingesting tinsel or other objects.
- Keep pets away from holly, mistletoe, poinsettias, and lilies which are highly toxic.
- Secure your tree to a doorway or strong drapery pole with fishing line to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat tries to climb it.
- Chocolate, raisins, grapes, onions, currants, macadamia nuts, and walnuts are all on the naughty list for pets. Also, beware xylitol (an artificial sweetener found in chewing gum, candy and peanut butter) which can cause illness and even death.
- Hide and secure electrical cords for lights—pets can suffer serious injury and electrocution from chewing on them. Rubber covers can be purchased inexpensively at hardware stores.
- Put your pet in another room with toys and a bed when having a party. This way your dog, and especially your cat, will be less stressed.
Need more help preparing your pet for the holiday? Give us a call at 999-999-9999.